Friday, July 16, 2010

Intro Intro Intro Intro...


Hi there!


I just thought I'd put "pen to paper", sharing my travels in Malaysia and beyond.


I'm an angling writer, and have had my fair share of trips into the Malaysian jungle, and to rivers and lakes of various countries. So, if you are into the outdoors, water sports and a bit of culture, do read on! :-)
Allow me to introduce myself in more detail...
Currently, I'm a Change Manager in a large corporation in Malaysia. For a life, however, I'm a passionately angler, and a regular writer for the local mags and tabloids. I'm also leading a small NGO called Kelah Association of Malaysia or KAGUM (www.kagum.org), deicated towards helping the country conserve the rivers and their indigenous fishes.
The Kelah (Tor tambroides/tambra; Malayan Greater Brook Carp; Malayan Red Mahseer; see pic above) was chosen as our symbol. It's a beautiful red mahseer found in the upstream waters of our jungle rivers. Lately, this species is under serious threat of extinction due to river siltation/pollution and over-fishing. It has also become a sought-after aquarium fish and restaurant delicacy. There are joints in KL selling kelah dishes at up to RM800 a kg.!
Ironically, the kelah is also a sought after sportfish. Most anglers in Malaysia practice catch-and-release (CNR) on this fish, due to its endangered status.
I have been angling for kelah in many rivers for some fifteen years now, and have stopped consuming it for about ten years. It's a personal commitment towards conserving this awesome fish. In 2005, a group of us anglers formed KAGUM, to further the cause.
My love for the mahseer and other fishes of the great rivers have brrought me to many beautiful places, and I hope to share some of them with you.
Happy reading!
><<:>


1 comment:

  1. Hello Aznir,

    great that you publish interesting infos especially about Malaysia.I hope you are fine. It would be great if you can send me the latest version of your inofficial record list from Malaysia. As you have done it in 2004. For updating my scientific database.

    If possible:

    - Rod & reel AND commercial fishing records

    - with weight, length, water, year

    In addition I’m searching always photos of record catches. In this case also the name of the angler or commercial fisherman.

    Thank you very much in advance for supporting the most comprehensive database in the world concerning freshwater records.

    To improve information exchange.

    Greetings from AUSTRIA

    Heinz Machacek, research editor & fish historian

    World Records Freshwater Fishing

    editor@fishing-worldrecords.com

    www.fishing-worldrecords.com

    ReplyDelete